An Open Letter to 2018

05 January 2018



Dear 2018,

I'm not sure if you are going to be anything like 2017, because if you will be, could you give me and everyone else a heads-up? I think this past year was full of opening avoided topics, thinking over challenging questions, and brutal honest conversations. And you know what––I think it was well awaited as painful as the process was.

I imagine a suitcase of old memories and emotions that I've tried to keep closed and shoved back into the closet. But pushing it further into the back of the closet doesn't help the fact that it still exists. Then this past year, I decided to haul it around with me. Still not mentioning what's in there, but stating that there is stuff in there...Tracking with me still?


When I finally did open it, it sure hurt, but in a good way, that was well needed after years of shoving everything inside. And I'm very grateful I have friends who are willing to help me unpack and reorganize. It's messy and it may take a while.

So 2018, though I think I'm ready for what is next after the past year, I'm not sure. I still have present worries, fears, and weaknesses.

Though I'm not going to try relying on my strengths. This year, I'm surrendering my fears daily to God––which is easier to say (or type) than actually do. I'm not sure what that will look like, but I know it will be uncomfortable and reveal God and His love in a whole new way.

Say 'hello' down below

Share your thoughts below!

© arise and create. Design by FCD.